Junior Rail Vehicle Engineer (Mechanical OR Electrical Engineer)
Posted on: October 12, 2018
We currently have an opening in our Philadelphia, PA office for a Rail Vehicle Engineer for our Transportation and Infrastructure division. This is a permanent position working for a variety of projects in Vehicle Systems. On a daily basis, the applicant will provide technical advice and support concerning maintenance issues raised concerning rail vehicles. The applicant should have some exposure to electrical systems and controls including the mechanical aspects vehicle systems typically found on rail vehicles either from the Rail Road Maintenance, Rail Car Supply or Consulting sides of the business. Examples of these systems are: Propulsion, Auxiliary power, General railcar control, HVAC, Lighting, Doors, Brakes, Power collection, Signaling and train control/monitoring and Communications/PA.
- Candidate will assist mechanical and electrical consulting engineers in various tasks related to rail passenger vehicles, railroad signaling and rail traction power systems in a learning environment.
- Duties include any or all of the following:
- Assist with design reviews or problem solving on rail vehicle subsystems (HVAC, Propulsion, Braking, etc)
- Information take-offs from engineering drawings, and drawing interpretation
- Small AutoCAD projects
- Learning and operating computer modeling and simulations program for electric power system parameters as applied to rail traction power networks
- Spreadsheet and database (MS Excel and Access) development
- Note-taking for project and design review meetings; possibly at client locations
- Test data processing
- Provide support for field tests of rail rolling stock; at client locations Nationally and Internationally
- Assist with office based computer (PC's) deployment, application loading, etc.
- Assist with specification development by incorporation of editorial changes and revisions
- Preparation of correspondence, reports and other documents
- STV seeks engineers with 0 to 3 years work experience who are able to demonstrate superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidates must hold ABET accredited four-year Bachelor's degrees in either mechanical or electrical engineering.
- If a mechanical engineer, the candidate will have taken coursework or have other background in electrical engineering subjects of electric machines and electric power theory or application.
- If an electrical engineer, the candidate will have coursework or other background in mechanical or automotive systems, mechanisms or machine
- Candidates must be willing to undertake a very wide variety of tasks and activities, demonstrate flexibility and a desire for a wide range of engineering experiences.
- Travel requirements can be up to 25% time for intermittent short periods, with most of the travel being same day trips to our clients sites. Opportunities for re-location.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate the ability to speak effectively before groups or employees of the STV and client organizations.
- Candidates should possess the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited information exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Graduates will assume additional responsibility for autonomous work in any or all of the above areas as experience is gathered.
STV is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.Required Skills
Keywords: STV, Philadelphia , Junior Rail Vehicle Engineer (Mechanical OR Electrical Engineer), Professions , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!