Company: Swarthmore College
Posted on: February 9, 2024
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college
located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines
academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong
institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and
nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the
goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the
nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College
is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and
world. The 425-acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with
gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in
the Crum Woods.
Who We Are:
Swarthmore Dining is a self-operated dining program which consists
of Residential Dining, Catering, and three Retail Locations. We are
proud to offer our students, faculty, and staff a diverse menu made
from high quality ingredients which are sourced locally whenever
possible. We are a team of 110 individuals who come from various
backgrounds and ethnicities. If you are passionate about food and
have great customer service, this is the place you want to work! We
pride ourselves in offering our team a work-life balance not
typically found in the restaurant industry. We hope you will join
our team and work in our Dining Center's state of the art, all
electric kitchen as well as one of our other many positions across
Oversees the Utility (Dish & Pots) team to ensure that all staff
are following proper cleaning and sanitation protocols and
procedures. Ensures proper chemicals are being used and accurate
dish machine temperatures are maintained.
Provides timely and reliable cleaning and maintenance support for
Swarthmore Dining. Ensures the availability of a clean and sanitary
supply of dishware, glassware, trays, pots, pans, utensils, and/or
other smallwares. Responsible for cleaning of equipment, kitchen,
and floors as needed throughout each meal period. Maintains and
sanitizes the dish machine & pot area, pulper room and extruder
room. Ensures a clean dining service facility. Must interact well
with customers, co-workers and supervisors. Must work effectively,
both independently and as a team member. Typical duties and
expectations are described below, but may also include other duties
- Be sure the team is in place and ready to work according to
- Checks all warewashing chemical and machine temperature levels
to ensure they are meeting the standard.
- Reports to manager on duty of any discrepancies.
- Ensures the team is performing assigned tasks during meal times
and following up with sanitation assignments through their
- Ensures employees follow their break schedules.
- Assist manager with feedback for performance reviews
- Ensure the cleaning procedures checklist is complete in the
dishroom, pulper room, and extruder rooms,
- Load and unload the dishwasher. Transport dishes, utensils,
pots and pans and other smallwares to serving lines, pot racks, and
- Sorts silverware into proper dispensers to ensure continuous
availability throughout the meal period.
- Transports and sets up dishes, glassware, trays and utensils to
the serving lines throughout the meal period.
- Washes/scrubs by hand and stores pots, pans, and utensils in
order to ensure cleanliness and availability for future use.
- Monitors cleaning chemicals on the dish machine, pot sink,
pulper room and extruders to ensure proper sanitation of
- Monitors temperature levels and reports any malfunctions to a
- Sweep and mop floors as well as walk in boxes and storage
- Removes trash, recyclables and compostables and places in
- Keeps the loading dock clean and organized.
- Wash daily all carts including food and pot carts
- Breaks down and clean area of dish machine, pulper and
extruders as instructed by task sheet posted at the dish room
- Performs other assignments as directed by the managers on
- Familiar with the location and information on the MSDS that
describes the cleaning chemicals used, and how to use them
- Supervise approximately 6-8 staff per shift.
- Ability to carry and lift objects weighing up 50 lbs.
- Ability to carry heavy objects in close quarters.
- Ability to carry objects for a long period of time.
- Ability to perform kneeling, bending, squatting and reaching
motions for extended times.
- Standing on a hard surface for extended periods of time.
- Fast paced, high volume environment.
- Seven-day operation, including nights and weekends.
- Must be able to adapt to ever-changing demands of college
- Must work in inclement and severe weather conditions
- Could be noisy
- Floors could be wet
- A diverse team with varied backgrounds and learning
What you bring:
- High school degree or GED with 1 year of supervisory experience
in a food service establishment
- High School degree with 1-2 years supervisory experience in a
feed service establishment
- ServSafe certified
What You Will Get:
You'll work at one of the world's most renowned liberal arts
Colleges, with incredible benefits, a stunning 420-acre campus and
collaborative work environment. Come join a team of passionate,
creative people who work hard and have fun supporting the College
students, faculty, and staff.
PA Criminal Required
Swarthmore College requires a PA Criminal background check for all
staff positions prior to the start of employment.
Review the 2024 Benefits Flyer . We offer benefit plans starting at
zero cost! Upon benefit eligibility, the College contributes 10% of
an employee's salary to their retirement account. Employees are
100% vested in their accounts on the date participation begins.
Swarthmore Benefits Guidebook
Tuition Grant Program
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Paid Time Off (Staff) *
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from
candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with
demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Dec 07 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Keywords: Swarthmore College, Philadelphia , Utility Lead, Other , Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!