111098 Patient Services Associate
Company: Penn Medicine
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Description Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission
of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting
innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of
medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means
collaboration with top clinical, technical and business
professionals across all disciplines.Today at Penn Medicine,
someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart,
deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our
employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's
- The Patient Services Associate (PSA) assists the
practice/department in maintaining a patient/customer focus,
supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for
patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or
exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational
- The PSA is responsible for the arrival and/or departure
activities of patients in the practice, managing and handling
patient calls and inquiries, coordinating patient appointments,
updating patient insurance/billing information, and performing
point of service activities.
- The PSA may function in a physician practice or a call center
environment. Rotation between PSA functions and/or departments may
- Strives to create and maintain a culture of safety and service
excellence through the following accountabilities:
- Greets and interacts with patients in a pleasant and
professional manner, on phone or in person.
- Listens carefully and communicates clearly with patients to
ensure understanding of patient's request. Analyzes problems from
the customer's point of view.
- Learns/anticipates the individual patient/customer needs and
does the best possible job of satisfying those needs using the best
solutions. Documents needs, as appropriate, in EPIC.
- Establishes positive relationships with patients by
demonstrating knowledge of patient history, compassion and
responding to individual needs.
- Handles stressful patient/customer situations appropriately and
delivers seamless patient/customer service.
- Ensure patient/family confidentiality, safety and
- Identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience,
including areas identified in patient satisfaction surveys.
- Ensures communication and collaboration with clinical staff and
fellow co-workers to serve patients to the best of his/her
- Shows initiative, sets priorities, organizes tasks, and works
independently and as part of a team while completing daily
- Participates in Entity and Department wide initiatives for
- Patient /Employee safety
- Demonstrates an awareness of patient/ employee safety when
carrying out daily responsibilities of their position.
- Patient Service:
- Takes accountability for ensuring patient/work areas are neat
- Orders supplies, as requested, for practice/department.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements:
answer phones/retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, manage/handle
patient requests and route appropriately, take thorough messages
and route appropriately through EPIC.
- Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person)
accurately and completely:
- Utilizes knowledge of schedules and protocols
- Uses proper billing area/appointment location
- Cancels/reschedules appointments as needed and changes
appointment status in EPIC
- Communicates changes to patient and confirms appointments.
- If scheduling patients via telephone, remind patient what to
bring to appointment (insurance card, test results, referrals,
etc.). Encourages patients, as appropriate, to sign up for My Penn
- Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at
practice and performs point of service activities
- obtains insurance cards, copays, signatures/forms,
referrals/authorizations as required and updates EPIC
- finalizes all check-out procedures as per practice
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait
times - keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as
- Successfully navigate and resolve EPIC work queues - escalate
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements
pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including
basic knowledge of all managed care plans UPHS participates with
and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Achieves proficiency in automated systems; such as EPIC APM and
EMR (including inbasket), hospital based EMRs (where necessary),
Navinet, credit card machines, IPayment, etc.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or
registers new patients into EPIC using established protocols
- Validates financial responsibility prior to service utilization
and completes an accurate financial interview at time of
- Records receipts according to practice protocol so as to ensure
appropriate end of day reconciliation. Participates in cash
- Generates/runs reports, as requested, related to front-end
- Resolve work queues and/or issues from front-end reports which
may include the patient pre & post visit, charge review, and others
as requested. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Complies with educational and training requirements at
prescribed intervals (via Knowledge Link and/or other methods as
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and
local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW,
LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Change Management:
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and is engaged in
practice operation changes.Credentials:Education or Equivalent
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 2+ years Medical office experience or 4
years of customer service experience.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.We believe that the best care for
our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our
employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay
healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program
that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs
in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and
committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical
advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.Live Your
Life's WorkWe are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard
to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability,
marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or
sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status,
status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by
Keywords: Penn Medicine, Philadelphia , 111098 Patient Services Associate, Other , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...