Networking and Communications Designer
Company: Philly Shipyard, Inc.
Posted on: May 16, 2022
SUMMARYAn IT, Network Designer is responsible for coordinating
the basic, detail, and production design process for their assigned
systems. Provide design support to the Procurement, Planning and
Production Departments. Possible assigned systems may include
Computer Network, Communication, Fire Alarm & Detection, and Public
Address & General Alarm, or other shipboard systems. Provide
support to other design staff of the Electrical Design Department
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill,
and/or ability required.
- Ensure that all PSI safety procedures, rules and regulations
are performed and met.
- Perform basic and detail design activities for assigned systems
including calculations, diagrams, drawings, design change notices,
and equipment selection relevant to assigned systems.
- Participate in basic and detail design activities within the
Electrical Design Department, including review of design documents
from other shipyard engineers, vendors, and external design
- Coordinate/assist fabrication, assembly, installation, and/or
testing of assigned systems, and equipment.
- Prepare technical specifications, collect vendor information
and maintain maker's list for assigned systems.
- Generate and access Bills of Material and provide technical
support for material tracking, logistics, handling, and timing of
- Propose technical improvements; develop and implement quality
standards applicable to assigned systems.
- Develop testing procedures for assigned systems.
- Interface with Owner and Class to resolve technical
- Provide field engineering support as required to support
production activities during Class and owner inspections or
responding to production questions arising during vessel
- Maintain working knowledge and monitor development of
classification and regulatory rules and requirements pertaining to
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Decision Making/Problem Solving
- Organizational understanding
- Conflict resolution
- Strategic thinking
- Stress Management
- Teamwork SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILTYThis position has no
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred,
however, candidates with a technical diploma and 10+ years'
experience in ship design and/or construction may also be
- Minimum 10 years' experience in shipbuilding, system design, or
- Experience with electrical system or electrical design and
construction Proficiency with MS Office and CAD systems such as
- Knowledge/experience concerning basic and detail ship
- Knowledge/experience concerning IT Systems, Network
Architecture, and Cybersecurity as it applies to sea going
- Knowledge/experience concerning modern shipbuilding
- Experience with Classification Society Rules for New
Construction, IMO Regulations, and US Coast Guard Requirements as
well as International experience or familiarity with European
and/or Asian Shipbuilding Standards.
WORK ENVIRONMENTEnvironmental exposures are similar to those found
in most heavy industrial settings and may include noise, heat,
cold, vibration, dust, fumes and smoke. Work may be carried on
indoors or outdoors, and may involve exposure to inclement weather
conditions. **Philly Shipyard is a TOBACCO-FREE facility.
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A range
of motion sufficient to perform general lifting, carrying, bending,
stooping, climbing, working at heights, extended walking or
standing, etc. is required. Employment in this position is
contingent upon passing the medical examination. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORKThis is a full-time,
safety-sensitive position. Standard days and hours of work vary by
department, days and hours determined by department schedules.
OTHER DUTIESPlease note this job description is not designed to
cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time or
without notice. Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity
for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment and
training of employees during employment, shall be without
discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin,
gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age
requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate
because of the disability of such individual.
Keywords: Philly Shipyard, Inc., Philadelphia , Networking and Communications Designer, Other , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!