Bioinformatics Scientist I - 64018
Company: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Posted on: February 25, 2021
LOC_COLKET-Colket Translational Research --Req ID:--77685 Shift:
Days Employment Status:--Regular - Full Time-- Job Summary The
Bioinformatics Scientist I position is an entry level position for
a non-PhD level professional. The focus of the position is
development, maintenance, and evolution of the tools that support
management and analysis of genomic, proteomic, and other complex
molecular data types. This includes the support of internal
bioinformatics software, implementation and modifications of
existing algorithms, and execution of routine tasks of limited
complexity within the general area of bioinformatics analysis. The
position allows for a wide variety of activities described within
the job responsibilities and encompasses positions within both
research and clinical environments. All activities occur with a
moderate to high degree of supervision and the individual will rely
on a high degree of peer-to-peer mentorship. The Bioinformatics
Scientist I is primarily focused on the support of higher level
bioinformatics personnel but may have minor direct interaction with
collaborators and designees to resolve primarily technical issues
and solutions. Job Responsibilities Pre-Analysis (40%): Contributes
to the maintenance and development of bioinformatics tool portfolio
by developing knowledge of internally developed systems,
open-source programs, and commercial applications. Provides
efficient data management support.
- Works with bioinformatics group members to develop functioning
pipelines upstream of customized analysis workflows.
- Maintains pipelines by staying current with evolving algorithms
and standards and incorporating into pipeline.
- Executes robust development testing for commonly used
applications such as data processing pipelines.
- Optimizes performance of applications by working with
scientific computing and information systems groups to optimize
- Defines and prioritizes requirements for pipeline development
over time to incorporate new technologies and platforms via
functional communication with bioinformatics group members and
bioinformatics end users.
- Identifies appropriate open-source and commercial products that
serve needs of pipeline and/or customized analyses of end
- Implements and maintains commercial and open-source software
for common bioinformatics and genomics data analysis.
- Implements, updates and maintains locally stored data resources
required for various analysis tasks.
- Provides ad hoc support and one-on-one and group-based training
on key bioinformatics software, features, and workflows.
- Provides efficient data management support including file
transfers, data formatting and manipulation, and basic integration
of data from a variety of experimental and reference
- Develops and maintains working relationship with data providers
such as sequencing cores within CHOP and infrastructure groups such
as information systems.
- Continually keeps abreast of evolving data generation platform
fundamentals, file-specific information representation, and
strategic application of code base to optimize value of data.
- Maintains working knowledge of available commercial and openly
accessible knowledge bases as they apply to bioinformatics
analysis. Job Responsibilities (Continued) Coding (30%): Codes and
generally supports both ad hoc, single task applications and larger
pipeline applications that may combine multiple 3rd party and
internally developed applications for genomics/proteomics/other
complex data types and projects.
- Implements, maintains, and regularly contributes to formal and
bioinformatics group-centralized code management system.
- Adopts appropriate forking and other strategies for robust code
development. Apply to general bioinformatics group code base.
- Adopts best practices for code development consistent with
larger bioinformatics group. This includes choice of language based
on the type of solution being developed, the likely life cycle and
downstream usage of the resulting application, and integration with
- Ensures that all routinely used tools (e.g. those included in
shared analysis pipelines) are versioned and managed through a
source control system.
- Ensures that configuration files that provide parameters to
algorithms and analysis software are versioned and managed through
a source control system.
- Develops and implements automated data-driven testing processes
that test reproducibility of results between versions of pipeline
- Develops and implements automated deployment processes that
build and configure systems from source control repositories,
eliminating the need to manually modify configuration files.
- Regularly documents code, troubleshoot, and provide training
when necessary. Data Analysis (10%): Analyzes data of high
complexity by applying sound statistical and commonly accepted
bioinformatics methods to -omics data under supervision from
mentors and peers.
- Develops robust analysis plans under supervision.
- Incorporates QA/QC in analysis workflows.
- Delivers analytical endpoints such as feature identification,
annotation, characterization, prioritization, etc.
- Reports results using, primarily, spreadsheets and,
secondarily, abstracted materials such as slides and visuals.
Collaboration (10%): Works with both bioinformatics group members
and end users/clients to understand specific needs in
bioinformatics and end user-specific domains.
- Attends group and team meetings and contributes primarily
factual information regarding processes and approach.
- Defers to mentors and peers in establishing relationships, but
works within boundaries to accomplish analytical goals. Academic
Output (10%): Contributes to presentations, grants, and manuscripts
under supervision by mentors and peers. Job Responsibilities
(Continued) Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations None
Required Education and Experience Required Education: Bachelor's
Degree in biological or computational discipline. Preferred
Education, Experience & Cert/Lic Preferred Education: Master's
Degree in biological or computational discipline. Preferred
Experience: Previous experience in applied bioinformatics,
computational, and genomics/proteomics areas. Additional Technical
- Experience with R strongly preferred.
- Experience with Python, Perl, or other languages
- Experience with pipeline or workflow development frameworks
- Experience with data management preferred.
- Familiarity with open source and commercial bioinformatics
resources and software preferred.
- Experience with genomic data analysis preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of technologies commonly used in
biological labs, such as PCR, cloning, electrophoresis gels, and
cell culture preferred.
- Knowledge of the working mechanism of microarray, NGS, mass
spectrometry, or other high-throughput technologies and awareness
of their strengths and weaknesses, as well as applicability to a
specific biological problem is preferred.
- Accountability and attention to timelines.
- Excellent organization and communication skills with an
emphasis on strong presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.-- All CHOP employees who
work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required
to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a
medical or religious exemption. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its
patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to
achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of
Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled
hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job
applicant does not use tobacco products. Children's Hospital of
Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity,
sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin,
disability or protected veteran status. VEVRAA Federal
Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans.
Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or
Keywords: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Bioinformatics Scientist I - 64018, Other , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!