Field Service Technician I (PHL)
Company: Smiths Detection
Posted on: April 19, 2019
FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN I (PHL)
North America, USA, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
After Sales Service & Repair
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who
want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to
use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more
efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards
during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things
differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around
22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year
across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application,
management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening
technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society
from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited
weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support,
customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a
more secure place. With over 40 years experience, our mission is to
use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which
uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out
on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great
career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a
better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
As a level one Field Service Technician, this individual must be
team oriented and flexible, and actively seek to share information
and assist their peers. Possesses solid communication skills, both
oral and written. Demonstrates good electronic repair
troubleshooting methodology and maintains at least an intermediate
technical level of product knowledge. Ability to read and follow
electrical/mechanical schematics to assist in isolating fault to
root cause component/assembly. Cross trains on products serviced in
the field, and displays basic proficiency in servicing the Trace,
X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection Systems product lines.
Willingness to work on special projects, some of high visibility,
as assigned. Looks for common-mode problem occurrences and seeks to
resolve, both independently and with the aid of others. Has a
working knowledge of business PC applications (MS Word, Excel &
Power Point) and able to effectively use them to provide clear,
concise information summaries as needed.
Troubleshoots, services, installs (deploys) and repairs Trace,
X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection equipment at customer sites.
Maintains field service log and filing system to properly initiate,
organize and maintain all field service and job files until work is
completed Demonstrates initiative and dedication through positive
use of downtime and an overall willingness and eagerness to
consistently exceed customer and company requirements. Conducts
follow up calls with the customer to ensure satisfaction of work.
Duties & Responsibilities
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE
NOT LIMITED TO:
* Responsible for meeting daily service repair needs and driving
* Installs, repairs and maintains equipment in the field; provides
customer training as required.
* Documents all inspections, maintenance, repair work and submits
paperwork in a timely basis
* Order, install, and return parts and manages repair parts cycle
* Reviews all logs for open issues and prepares formal reports to
customers as necessary.
* Participates in Service Sales opportunities and assists with
promoting and implementing revenue programs.
* Ensures that tools and test equipment are properly maintained and
* Assesses product/equipment performance based on field support
data; recommends modifications or improvements.
* Seeks to provide technical support to customers and other service
professionals as required.
* May participate in site surveys, pilot program service
activities, attend meetings
* Possesses basic technical knowledge on the company s Trace and
* Maintains clear and concise business communication, both oral and
* Establishes and maintains a close relationship with senior level
FSE s and Product Managers in order to support the needs of the
customer and remain aware of current technical trends.
* Exercises every available measure to control and minimize
* Travel, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be
* Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health,
safety and environmental policies.
* Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security
* Other duties as required.
* Associate s Degree/Related Trade Certification (electrical,
electronic, mechanical)/Military Training (electrical, mechanical,
electronics). (Equivalence achieved through comparative work and
life experience of 1-3 years is acceptable work experience in a
related electrical or mechanical field service role). Computer
literacy; competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite
and aptitude for learning specialized software programs.
* Minimum of 1-3 years experience directly involved in
troubleshooting and field repair of electrical and electronic
systems and equipment.
* Individuals shall possess excellent communications skills and
have a strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork. Must be
responsive to all customer issues at all times. Must be willing &
able to travel at short notice.
* While supervision is not considered a primary responsibility of
this position, there may be instances where supervision of others
on a project basis may be required
* This position requires Sensitive Security Information (SS) access
and vetting via the TSA. Applicant must successfully pass a federal
* Possess excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal
skills with the ability to multi task several projects at once.
* Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle
* Self-motivated, reliable, and accountable individual
* Possess excellent telephone skills
* Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
* Must be able to push/pull 200 lbs.
* Must be able to move/ manipulate equipment weighing up to 1000
lbs. with the assistance of carts, hoists, davit cranes, pallet
jacks or other devices as defined in the manuals and Technical
* Job requires frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, and
working in unusual positions requiring full body mobility.
* Must be able to work safely and follow safety precautions in
extreme environments (temperature, humidity, noise, confined
spaces, etc.) around dangerous industrial equipment.
* Work environment is typically considered to be wherever the
customer of concern is located. Service will typically be rendered
at airports, correctional facilities, courthouses, cruise ships or
other locations as required.
Keywords: Smiths Detection, Philadelphia , Field Service Technician I (PHL), IT / Software / Systems , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!