Director, Technical Accounting
Company: Comcast Corporation
Posted on: February 9, 2024
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We
drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and
online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a
variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career
opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We
are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks
to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and
services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share
in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries
and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want
you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.Job SummaryThe Director,
Technical Accounting, will serve as a subject matter expert
regarding the application of U.S. GAAP to transactions within the
Connectivity & Platforms ("C&P") segment of Comcast. The
C&P segment consists of the domestic connectivity businesses of
Comcast Cable (including Comcast Business), Comcast Advertising and
SKY, operating in the UK, Ireland and Europe. This position will
have responsibility for leading the processes and controls related
to identification, documentation, communication and implementation
of proposed and new accounting standards, accounting for complex
contracts with customers and vendors, accounting for acquisitions,
divestitures and joint ventures, and standardization of accounting
policies and practices focusing primarily, although not
exclusively, on SKY's operations. This position will also partner
with various business units, focusing primarily on SKY, to evaluate
the accounting impacts of potential new contracts with customers
and vendors and lead the evaluation of the accounting models
applicable to new or emerging businesses.Job DescriptionCore
- Research and evaluate the accounting for new and complex
transactions, including contracts with vendors and customers and
accounting models for new or emerging businesses.
- Review contracts, develop accounting positions and lead
partnerships with business unit finance teams in evaluating the
financial statement impacts of new or proposed transactions.
- Lead the development of solutions or alternatives & drive
issues through to resolution, including consultation with Comcast
Corporate accounting & our external auditors.
- Consult with business units and external auditors on technical
accounting matters and the application and development of
- Document and communicate the accounting for the transactions
(both technical and operational accounting considerations).
- Lead the update & harmonization of accounting policies across
Comcast Cable and SKY, both domestically and internationally.
- Proactively identify/research proposed new accounting standards
and guidance (i.e., FASB, EITF, SEC and PCAOB guidance).
- Develop interpretations and communications related to new
accounting standards and guidance.
- Lead the implementation of new accounting standards, including
evaluation and documentation of technical and operational
- Consult with outside auditors on new accounting standards.
- Present and train Comcast Cable & SKY management and accounting
teams on U.S. GAAP accounting standards.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reporting disclosures
(MD&A and Footnotes) for new accounting standards.
- Support leadership of multinational team based in Philadelphia
& London, UK (with key customers based in Philadelphia, London, UK,
Munich, Germany and Milan, Italy).
- Directs and oversees various accounting functions including
accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger
accounting and reporting. Directs financial planning process for
budgeting, forecasting, and long-range strategies.
- Generates and distributes monthly, quarterly, and annual
financial reporting. Reviews and analyzes monthly financial
statements and explains variances to budget, forecast, and prior
- Directs and oversees periodic audits of key operational
- Ensures legal and regulatory compliance to GAAP and Sarbanes
Oxley for all accounting functions and financial reporting.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Finance & Accounting
staff by setting goals, objectives, performance criteria, and
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in
matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance. Must be able to
work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary. Due to
the focus on our international operations, we expect the successful
candidate to work an adjusted schedule to accommodate UK and
- Periodic travel to the UK & Europe required.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.Employees at all
levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines
for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put
our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every
touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates
of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially
our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and
being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working
that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company -
by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate
opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and
- This information has been designed to indicate the general
nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is
not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications.Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity
workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran
status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by
applicable law.CertificationsCertified Public Accountant (CPA) -
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - American
Institute of Certified Public AccountantsEducationBachelor's
DegreeWhile possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also
may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and
experience, or who have extensive related professional
experience.Relevant Work Experience10 Years +Base pay is one part
of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and
recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are
eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan,
while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus.
Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe
that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it
matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most.
That's why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and
always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your
reality - to help support you physically, financially and
emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life.
Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers
site for more details.
Keywords: Comcast Corporation, Philadelphia , Director, Technical Accounting, IT / Software / Systems , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!