Associate Software Engineer
Company: City Of Philadelphia
Posted on: January 16, 2022
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent,
Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our
thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and
grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here.
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000
different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless
opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion,
integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else.
We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and
benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If youre
interested in working with a passionate team of people who care
about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone
Benefits - We Care About Your Well Being
The Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) oversees most major
technology projects for the City of Philadelphia (CoP), ensures
continuity of the City's technology operations, and finds new ways
to help the public interact meaningfully with technology. OIT uses
technology to help City employees do their work better and helps
residents get what they need from municipal government. The Streets
Department IT unit is responsible for supporting all IT systems
within the Streets Department.
The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) is an agency responsible
for managing the water, wastewater and storm water infrastructure
for the City of Philadelphia. Philadelphia Water Department
employees take pride in providing safe water for residents to
drink, supply water for industry, and protect the environment and
the regions water sources. The PWD IS&T Application Team is
responsible for building software applications to streamline PWD
operations and support its core business. The successful candidate
will collaborate with other team members to deliver custom IT
solutions to meet department needs.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide
application development for the Philadelphia Water Department, City
of Philadelphia using Microsoft .Net framework. The position would
provide the candidate with a wide range of opportunities in
software engineering processes.
This includes designing and implementing custom software solutions
and system enhancements to optimize the operations in the
existing/new systems to support PWD business processes; designing
multi-tier business logic-based systems using design patterns to
solve common software design problems; Investigating, analyzing and
documenting reported defects; Performing maintenance programming
and correction of identified defects; Creating custom queries and
reports for managers, city, state and federal agencies.
- Responsible for the development of applications (web and
otherwise) in .NET to support PWD Business processes.
- Responsible for upgrading legacy applications to newer
technologies and comply with enterprise security policies and
- Responsible for the design of relational databases including
organizing the information in tables, setting up primary keys and
foreign keys and table relationships, create views, functions and
- Develop Mobile GIS enabled web applications using newer
technologies such as MVC, Bootstrap, Angular 9+ and ESRI
- Develop and maintain interfaces to COTS solutions such as
Maximo, Cityworks and CIPIT.
- Assists in working with clients to develop technical
requirements to meet their business needs as well as with system
support staff to identify technical requirements, including,
connectivity, resources and other platform requirements.
- Help to coordinate the implementation of short- and long-term
projects, objectives, policies and procedures for the production
and maintenance of all application development related issues.
- Follow SDLC methodology including requirements gathering,
solution architecture, coding, and testing.
- Follow best practices and industry standards to develop .NET
- Collaborate and assist other team members in all the software
development cycles to ensure adherence with the design requirements
and the business needs.
- Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose
- Identify, create, and maintain development frameworks and code
libraries. Create prototypes and functional specifications for
application development projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Apply web application development standards and best
- Understand application architecture.
- Work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the
highest standards on time.
- Ability to use analytical problem-solving skills to solve
practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in
situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral,
diagram, or schedule form and communicate them visually.
- Web standards, design fundamentals, browser compatibility
issues for all operating systems
- Visual Studio (2012, 2015,2017,2019)
- Visual Studio Code
- Microsoft SQL Server (2008,2014)
- Angular 9+
- Entity Framework
- Application Architecture
- Application Lifecycle Management
- Agile Methodologies
- RESTful Web Services
- Information Architecture
- Web standards
- Table-less Design
- Web Accessibility
- Object Oriented Programming
- Active Directory Authentication/Authorization
- Completion of a Bachelors degree program at an accredited
college or university, which has included major course work in
Computer Science, information science, systems analysis or
- 1+ years of experience developing excellent solutions using
- Strong experience with CSS3
- Strong experience with JQuery, MVC, Angular 9+
- Experience developing web services
- Experience with the Microsoft .Net core framework
- Experience with enterprise relational databases such as
Microsoft SQL Server and or Oracle
- Knowledge of GIT or Azure Devops is preferred
- Experience developing and deploying applications in AWS or
- Are a Philadelphia Resident or can relocate within 6 months of
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes
spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available.
The Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident
within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does
not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin,
ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income,
familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence
victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call
the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or
send an email to faqpchr @phila.gov. For more information, go to:
Human Relations Website:
Keywords: City Of Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Associate Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Mantua, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!