Supervisor Embryology Laboratory-Fertility Center (Holiday/Weekend rotation)
Company: Lancaster General Health
Posted on: November 15, 2019
CompanyLancaster General HospitalCost Center7551 Fertility
CareSupervisory OrganizationFertility CenterGradeG16SummaryPOSITION
SUMMARY: ?The Embryology Laboratory Supervisor position is
responsible for the clinical activities of the Embryology and
Andrology Laboratories. This position is responsible for the
oversight of scheduling and day-to-day operations within the
Embryology laboratory. This position requires a focus on protocol
compliance, maintenance of the highest clinical standards and
provision of the services and resources necessary to support
laboratory operations. In addition, this position is responsible
for the direct supervision of laboratory staff.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without
reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties: ?
- Undertake embryology laboratory procedures as directed.? This
includes advanced procedures requiring micromanipulation of gametes
- Clear, professional and timely communication with staff,
physicians and patients.
- CAP/CLIA Officer for Ovation Fertility- Austin/San Antonio
- Participate in Continuing Technical Improvement exercises.
- Maintain technical proficiency in routine laboratory
- Develop the proficiency necessary for oversight of technical
staff in their use of Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Assist in the management of new employees to ensure training
goals are met.
- IVF Laboratory
- Oversees all Embryology & Andrology laboratory procedures and
- Aids in trouble shooting lab issues.
- Attends departmental meetings and implements new processes as
necessary to improve performance
- Reviews with Laboratory Director and IVF Manager day-to-day
operations and success rates.
- ART Laboratory Accreditation
- Consults with embryology & andrology staff and Director about
quality control concerns and advises.
- Helps prepare laboratories for compliance inspections.
- Ensures that all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP?s) and
policies (including OSHA) are updated and reviewed annually by all
- Ensure adequate staffing coverage and comprehensive staffing
plan for department that complies with budget. Maintain competency
in operations and cover for staff as appropriate when workload or
staff vacancies require.
- Oversee and coordinate staff orientation in accordance with
established orientation plan. Assure the required certifications
and job requirements are current and maintained.
- Oversees departmental or office operation, assures smooth daily
operation in departmental operations. Responsible for identifying
bottlenecks and making suggestions to address them. Facilitates
external communication with corresponding laboratories regarding
use of services or supplies.
- Responsible for quality assessment and improvement and takes
responsibility for pursuing patient complaints in a customer
service orientated fashion. Documents concerns and seek
resolutions. Demonstrates effective use of the Incident reporting
system to route concerns and opportunities for improvement.
Identifies improvement opportunities and participates in resolving
- Provides a Safe Environment for Staff and Patients. Monitors
physical environment for hazards and follows through to resolve
them. Assists Laboratory Manager in the annual training of
employees in Safety and Disaster plans.
- Assures Compliance with Applicable Regulations, Policies and
Standards and serves as lead CAP/CLIA officer for the laboratory.
Works closely with Director to ensure compliance of Policies and
Standards prior to inspections. Monitors compliance with
established practice and Corporate SOPs & HIPAA Standards.
Understands and monitors compliance with applicable Accreditation
Standards.Maintains knowledge of healthcare regulations and assists
with education about and implementation of new regulations as
needed. Assures compliance with Regulatory Standards.Consults with
embryology staff and Lab Director about quality control concerns
and advises.SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are
considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Incumbent will participate in ongoing continuing education, and
will attend one national meeting per year, relevant to human
embryology/andrology, as determined by the Director
- Ability to perform analyses that require a complex network of
steps and variables.? Initiative, creative ability, honesty and
good judgment are essential in exercising decision pertaining to
- Must maintain quality control records, and document all cases
received by the laboratory
- Attend required staff and laboratory meetings
- Reviews all relevant and new policies and procedures, fire,
safety and emergency procedures and integrates into practice
- Other duties as assigned.JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM REQUIRED
- Bachelor?s degree (or higher) in a biological science.
- ?8 years of experience in a laboratory setting.
- Minimum of 3 years? experience in a reproductive laboratory
- Demonstrated proficiency in all routine embryology and
andrology laboratory procedures including micromanipulation and
?preimplantation genetic diagnosis of gametes and embryos.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet,
database and email applicationsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:?
- Preferred Certification: American Board of Bioanalyst
- 5+ years in a reproductive laboratory setting
preferred.COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTSAttention/Concentration: The
following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus
on certain aspects of current experience and reject others. ?
- The position requires strong concentration skills.? The
individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain
concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result
of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state
of attention.New Learning and Memory: The following level of
ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal
memory and new learning.? Efficiency in processing of verbal
information, either in written or spoken form, is a major
requirement and prerequisite of the job.? The individual must be
able to attend to and process multiple bits of information
simultaneously.? The individual must be able to organize and
categorize this information effectively so that later recall is
feasible.Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The
following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to
think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more
elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
- The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem
solving.? The individual must be able to apply principles of
logical or scientific thinking to define problems.? The individual
must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the
ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single
instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be
aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem.? The development
of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful
interpretation, analysis and diagnosis.? The individual must be
able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.?
The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of
inventiveness, experimentation and intuition.? They must be able to
deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.APTITUDES:?
The following are essential requirements of the position in
relation to job-worker situations.? These items describe how a
worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act. ?Performing under
stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when
confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous
situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained
attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or
risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the
job.Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties,
often changing from one task to another of a different nature
without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant
differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental
factors, physical demands, or work situations.Communication:?
Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely;
to present ideas, facts and technical information.Interpersonal
relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task
accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize
needs and be sensitive of others.EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office
Supplies ?Software: Microsoft Office Products, Baby SentryPHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTSRarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%;
Continuously 71-100%Body Position/Movement: ?
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: RarleyLifting: Degree of physical exertion is:Light,
exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible
amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.Sensory
Abilities specifically required:
- Touch/FeelingPHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTWORKING CONDITIONS: ?Position
involves exposure to the following harmful elements: ?
- Bio hazardous WasteDisclaimer: This job description is not
intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions
associated with the job.? It is intended to be a reflection of
those principal job elements essential for recruitment and
selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing
performance standards.? The percentages of time spent performing
job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute.?
The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be
cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of
management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this
job in part or in whole.? Incumbent must be able to perform all job
Keywords: Lancaster General Health, Philadelphia , Supervisor Embryology Laboratory-Fertility Center (Holiday/Weekend rotation), Healthcare , Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!