Lab Animal Caretaker
Company: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Posted on: April 18, 2019
Req ID: 25421
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
The laboratory animal caretaker is responsible for providing a
variety of animal husbandry services in support of CHOP s
1. Understands and follows all SOPs and Quality Assurance
2. Performs daily animal health checks and reports any abnormal
animal conditions to the veterinary technician and /or Area
3. Disposes of dead animals following standard SOPs and
4. Changes animal caging, to include feed and water, according to
SOPs and/or specific approved protocols and the schedule
established by the Area Supervisor.
5. Sexes and weans animals according the SOPs.
6. Maintains daily animal census sheets, room equipment and status
form sheets, and other forms requested by the Area Supervisor.
7. Cleans and sanitizes animal facility, assigned rooms and cages
according to SOPs.
8. Maintains and repairs animal caging and support equipment.
9. Receives, examines, transfers, identifies and properly houses
incoming animal shipments according to SOPs.
10. Assist with the restraint, handling and manipulation of various
animal species as requested by the investigators.
11. Perform routine cleaning, descaling, and preventative
maintenance on the cage washers and autoclaves, including checking
and cleaning filters and spray manifolds.
12. Process clean caging and accessory equipment appropriately,
including putting bedding into cages and autoclaving cages and
13. Understand and follow appropriate SOPs, safety procedures, and
quality assurance guide-lines. 14. Prepare and submit records,
charts, logs, cage cards, and inventories as required by SOP s. 15.
Other duties as assigned to support animal care and welfare.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, REGISTRATIONS
Achieve AALAS ALAT certification within one year of placement into
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education: High School/GED
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERT/LIC
Preferred Experience: Prior experience working with animals in
private practice, laboratory animal or zoo animal setting
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide
patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine
unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a
safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members,
visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal,
employment at Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for
positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is
contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use
tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine
screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity
employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion,
national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected
veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
Keywords: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Lab Animal Caretaker, Healthcare , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!