School Nurse - Part-Time - School RN
Company: Public Health Management Corporation
Posted on: February 10, 2024
School Nurse - Part-Time
PHMC is proud to be a leader in public health. PHMC requires that
all employees are fully vaccinated with the Covid-19 vaccine before
the first day of employment.
The School Nurse provides comprehensive health assessments and
crisis management services, and provides direct services to ensure
that the school's health program, as defined by the Pennsylvania
School Code, Pennsylvania Department of Health Division of School
Health Regulations, and PHMC is carried out according to the
specifics in the Law and within the parameters established for Mill
Creek School. This position manages the school health program and
maintains comprehensive health records for each student to improve
the health status of students, enabling them to profit fully from
their educational experiences, and to promote optimum health status
for all students. The School Nurse collaborates with school
personnel and external service providers to meet individual student
needs. The School Nurse reports to the Director of Specialized
* Plan, organize and monitor the school health program at Mill
Creek; prepare comprehensive health histories, schedule admission
and periodic medical examinations for students, conduct annual and
periodic health screening tests.
* Interpret the assessed health status to students, their parents
and school personnel; counsel in planning action for dealing with
health problems that interfere with effective learning, refers
students and parents to community sources of health care,
counseling and financial assistant; conducts follow-up procedures.
Maintain comprehensive health records for each student including
findings of screenings and examination; management of health
* Provide medical information to the IEP team.
* Maintain the school health room; provide care in case of illness
or injury; provide treatment in accordance with standing medical
orders; advocates a safe school environment, is alert to possible
health and safety hazards.
* Administer and chart student's medications prescribed by their
* Provides specialized nursing care for students with chronic
conditions; may perform procedures such as catheterization, tube
feeding and tracheotomy care; oversees activities of ancillary
* Provide health counseling for students, parents and school staff
aimed at encouraging students to take responsibility for their
health care, in individual and/or group lessons as appropriate.
* Assist teachers in providing instruction in various
health-related topics to students.
* Arrange medical treatment in the event of an emergency.
* Document student/staff injuries requiring more than first
* Conduct staff in-service training on various medically-related
* Record health program data for evaluation, research and
continuity of school nursing.
* Serve as a member of health-related Mill Creek and PHMC
committees as directed.
* Maintain a viable health communications network; functions as a
member of an interdisciplinary school team including principals,
counselors and teachers.
* Provide assistance as needed in the classrooms.
* Assist with problem solving client attendance or enrollment
* Participates in regular meetings with staff to ensure priorities
are clear, coordination is good and communications are open.
Develops additional methods for ongoing effective communication
* Models traits of a responsible team member, executing job
responsibilities, open communication, good follow through; supports
team members to do the same.
* Demonstrates use and support of trauma informed care in all
aspects of employment, including interactions with
clients/students, family members, other employees, community
members, and stakeholders.
* Responds promptly to the concerns and interests of the clients,
parents, guardians, funding entities and other program staff.
* Demonstrates commitment to being trauma informed and maintaining
a therapeutic community that promotes safety and nonviolence as the
basis for all we do with clients/students and staff.
* Demonstrate a deep understanding of how trauma impacts childhood
development and behaviors.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
* Routine school environment. Employee may be involved in
de-escalating student behaviors using Mill Creek approved
techniques. Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens; may
transport students in agency or personal vehicle in accordance with
PA Dept. of Transportation requirements and agency procedures.
* Ability to independently utilize routine office equipment.
* Ability to independently travel outside of agency.
* The physical demands and work environment described is
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of public
health and pediatric nursing and the relationship of school health
programs to other health and welfare programs.
* Knowledge of community organizations and facilities related to
school health nursing.
* Knowledge of school health standards and methods of appraising
school health and related programs.
* Ability to administer First Aid, CPR and AED.
* Ability to gain confidence and cooperation from students.
* Ability to interpret public health and education regulations.
* Ability to provide care to injured or ill students.
* Ability to instruct and supervise others in care of students.
* Ability to communicate accurately and effectively, both orally
and in writing.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working
* Demonstrates personal integrity, initiative, problem solving,
creativity, analytical skills and follow-through.
* Ability to multi-task and be in control of numerous tasks at any
* Ability to handle a variety of duties which may be interrupted or
changed by immediate circumstances.
* Strong computer skills in all Microsoft office applications and
other health record applications.
* Develop and maintain a comprehensive school program for students,
following the guidelines of the Pennsylvania School Code,
Pennsylvania DOH Regulations, the Division of School Health
guidelines, PA DOE Regulations, and PHMC policies.
* Uses data to plan and evaluate the school health program.
* Provides up-to-date information for school personnel on subjects
regarding growth and development patterns of children, first aid
practice, accident prevention, communicable disease
* Provides direct services to students in accordance with current
medical practice and nursing standards, relevant statues, and
regulations for mandated screenings, acute and chronic disease,
first aid for illness or injury, reviews and monitors student
immunization status and other comprehensive health records.
* Administers medications and performs procedures according to
physician orders and school policies and procedures.
* Collaborates with school personnel and agencies to insure
continuity of service and care of students, including the
coordination of medical and dental examinations with the school
* Actively participates in individual education program (IEP),
medical or developmental programs; Chapter 14 and 15 review and
evaluation teams, and to provide information to these teams as
* Plans for the environmental needs of the school and advises
school officials of environmental adjustment necessary to meet the
needs of physically challenged individuals.
* Plans for first aid services and instructs personnel responsible
for giving first aid.
* Serves as a resource person to facilitate learning of positive
health and wellness behaviors for students and staff.
* Arranges or teaches in-service programs for school personnel in
first aid, emergency care procedures and current health issues.
* Assists in budget preparation by advising school administration
for the health program and facilities.
* Prepares and presents all school health reports.
* Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
* Five years of full-time, professional nursing experience,
preferably in a school setting. Experience in settings with
children and young adults with emotional and mental health
conditions strongly preferred. Knowledge of current Child Abuse
Laws, CPR/AED certification required.
* Degree from an accredited college or university and completion of
an accredited nursing program. Valid licensed registered
professional nurse issued by the State Board of Nursing,
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
* Certification as an Educational Specialist by the Pennsylvania
Department of Education desired, or willingness to earn the
* Commensurate with education and experience.
Keywords: Public Health Management Corporation, Philadelphia , School Nurse - Part-Time - School RN, Healthcare , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!