Expanded Function Dental Assistant (2 positions), Penn Dental Family Practice
Company: University of Pennsylvania
Posted on: November 26, 2022
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in
Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research,
and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks
among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World
Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide
opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education,
all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to
scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked
nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes
who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of
Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban
campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and
recreational activities. With its historical significance and
landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of
atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for
work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes
excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their
families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of
professional development opportunities, supportive work and family
benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources,
and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the
University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully
vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more
information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn
COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Expanded Function Dental Assistant (2 positions), Penn Dental
Job Profile Title
Dental Assistant D
Job Description Summary
Penn Dental Medicine's Family Practice (PDFP) is interested in
hiring the best and the brightest EXPANDED FUNCTION DENTAL
ASSISTANT (2 positions) who are looking to broaden their skill sets
and gain valuable experience in the art and science of the dental
field. As a member of the PDFP family, individuals are provided the
opportunity to work alongside a diverse team whose mission is to
provide quality dental care which exceeds patient expectations.
Ideal candidates must:
1. Be ready to have a voice on a highly collaborative team
2. Stay thirsty and always seek to learn and improve upon patient
service and clinical practice
3. SMILE---because WE make people smile!
Penn Dental Family Practice is comprised of over 35 doctors, 15
dental hygienists, 22 dental assistants, 17 staff AND GROWING!
Together, the team works collaboratively to provide multi-specialty
care utilizing leading techniques in patient care.
Experience in supporting expanded function support in dental care
delivery including: preparation of treatment rooms, setting up
patient instruments and materials, passing instruments and
performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice is
* Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting,
seating, and obtaining medical history and patient vitals, and
* Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
Provides information to patients and employees by answering
questions and requests.
* Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on
instruments and in the patient's mouth.
* Make appropriate study models on indicated patients.
* Expose, process, and mount necessary x-rays
* Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing
radiographic studies; pouring, trimming, and polishing study
* Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by
fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing
* Aid in chairside assistance as needed.
* Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque
control instructions, presents and explains treatment plants to
patients, demonstrates effective communication to bridge the gap
between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan,
provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent
* Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping
* Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control
policies and protocols.
* Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with
procedures, rules, and regulations.
* Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by
maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply,
and emergency telephone directory.
* Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as
needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains
proper usage and operations of equipment.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
* To date, clinical hours are Monday through Friday 7:00AM -
6:00PM; flexibility in scheduling is required for all
* Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as
* POSITIVE ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM, with a strong commitment to
exceeding patient and team expectations
* FLEXIBILITY AND OPENNESS to work as a team in a variety of roles,
assignments and duties
* TEAM PLAYER a strong desire to be an active, long-term
participant in the growth and success of the practice
* ABILITY TO ADAPT AND LEARN QUICKLY, make an immediate,
sustainable impact, and provide value-added service to patients and
* STRONG COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, displaying the
ability to connect and build relationships with team members/peers
* CONFIDENCE IN PROFESSIONAL APTITUDE and ability to effectively
convey skills, knowledge and qualifications to patients
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
* Current Expanded Function Dental Assistant licensure; Technical
School, Certification, or training required beyond High School and
minimum of 3 years of practical experience in a dental care
facility or equivalent combination of education and experience is
* All qualified candidates are required to be x-ray certified,
experience taking xrays, chair side assisting and 4 handed
dentistry, taking impressions, pouring up models, understanding of
* Current CPR and BLS certifications required.
* Experience and knowledge in HIPAA policies, mixing materials and
dental charting required.
* Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with
children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background
Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing
Database is required.
* Experience with AxiUm preferred.
* Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based on
the operational needs of the Penn Dental Family Practice.
Penn Dental Family Practice is the multispecialty dental practice
of Penn Dental Medicine. With general dentists as well as
specialists, patients can receive your comprehensive care for all
your dental needs within each of the two practice locations.
Patients benefit from a team of experts who practice using the
leading techniques and technologies in dentistry and who are
committed to providing compassionate, personalized care.
At Penn Dental Medicine, our students are among the nation's best,
and they are matched in quality by the high level of instruction
and research among our faculty. Our research encompasses all the
basic and clinical sciences, and Penn's emphasis on
interdisciplinary scholarship encourages collaborations across
disciplines. Our clinical care brings the latest techniques and
technologies to patients within our teaching clinics and faculty
practice. As stewards of the neighborhood in which we reside, Penn
Dental Medicine participates in a diversity of community outreach
programs, serving area residents while teaching our students to
practice with compassion and responsibility.
Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDental Assistant C
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$20.45 - $30.82
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications,
experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the
requirements of the position, as well as internal and market
factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made.
Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the
requirements of the job.
* Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers
comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental,
vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your
family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending
accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care
expenses with pre-tax dollars.
* Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits.
You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition
assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible
for tuition assistance at other institutions.
* Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you
save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental
retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or
Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options
through TIAA and Vanguard.
* Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount
of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows
you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover
from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your
personal needs may be.
* Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial,
Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members)
long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of
long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a
nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't
have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting
requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of
good health and are subject to underwriting.
* Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting
our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work
and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs
and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and
your work-life balance.
* Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of
resources to help you advance yourself personally and
* University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have
access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural
and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's
libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art
galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's
a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater
presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at
Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn
community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and
your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
* Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to
transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for
University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural
centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and
memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial
savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and
General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and
admission to theme parks.
* Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative
approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work
and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of
non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
* Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for
eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently
residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs
or home improvements.
* Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on
qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an
eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two
adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit:
Keywords: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia , Expanded Function Dental Assistant (2 positions), Penn Dental Family Practice, Healthcare , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!