Manager Materials Characterization - Exempt S
Company: CARPENTER TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
Posted on: August 24, 2019
Carpenter Technology Corporation (NYSE: CRS) is a recognized leader
in high-performance specialty alloy-based materials and process
solutions for critical applications in the aerospace, defense,
transportation, energy, industrial, medical, and consumer
electronics markets. Founded in 1889, Carpenter has evolved to
become a pioneer in premium specialty alloys, including titanium,
nickel, and cobalt, as well as alloys specifically engineered for
additive manufacturing (AM) processes and soft magnetics
applications. Carpenter recently expanded its AM capabilities to
provide a complete "powder-to-part" solution to accelerate
materials innovation, offer rapid prototyping, and streamline parts
TITLE OF POSITION: Manager-Materials Characterization
LOCATION: Reading, PA
OVERVIEW: The successful individual will serve as both a manager
and individual contributor. As a manager s/he will manage the
activities and personnel of the respective area consistent with the
goals and objectives of the organization. As an individual
contributor s/he will provide a range of technical services to our
internal and external customers and address manufacturing or
customer-related problems when needed.
- Organizes resources to balance urgent requirements and
longer-term work of importance.
- Leads the capital and project work of the operation and provide
timely process support to meet the immediate business needs as well
as the longer-term business objectives.
- Serves in an expert capacity in one or multiple facets of the
key characterization areas: Mechanical testing, metallography/
optical microscopy, electron microscopy, corrosion, failure
analysis and/or X-Ray diffraction.
- Coordinates and supervises the daily activities of business
support, technical or production team.
- Sets priorities for the team to ensure task completion;
coordinates work activities with other supervisors.
- Sets priorities for employees to meet daily deadlines.
- Develops plans to meet short-term objectives.
- Ensures that decisions are guided by policies, procedures and
business plan and receives guidance and oversight from
- Manages the Characterization equipment, supplies, external
testing and associated budgets.
- Anticipates internal/external business and regulatory issues;
recommends process/product improvements.
- Contributes to the development of the functional strategy.
- Participates in the development of the project strategy, in
addition to project execution.
- Effectively leads project teams or sub-teams (for
organization-wide projects) to achieve milestones and
- Works within budgetary/financial objectives set by
- Manages costs/budgets for organization-wide projects or
- Applies management expertise to improve efficiency and
accomplish operational objectives within own area of responsibility
- Proactively promotes ways to improve the quality of life and
protect the environment in the communities in which the Company
- Four-year college degree in Material Science or related field
or equivalent experience as determined by department manager.
- Five + years' experience as an engineer in research and
development or engineering.
- Demonstrated experience in accomplishing goals through leading
- Has developed depth and/or breadth of expertise in own function
and broad knowledge of other functions.
- Expert knowledge of metallurgical principles, standards,
methods and practices.
- Expert knowledge of metallurgical and production
- Knowledge of newest and latest technologies available.
- Expert knowledge of statistics, six sigma and/or BPI
- Practical understanding of industrial/manufacturing principles,
standards, methods, and practice
- Knowledge of disciplined problem-solving methods.
- Expert knowledge in one of the following areas:
- Mechanical testing
- Gleeble testing
- Metallography/ optical microscopy,
- Electron microscopy,
- Failure analysis and/or
- X-Ray diffraction techniques
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a
comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental,
vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with
company contributions as well as many other options to
Carpenter Technology Corporation's policy is to fully and
effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and
nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action
for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best
qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status,
national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic
protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and
provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and
Keywords: CARPENTER TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION, Philadelphia , Manager Materials Characterization - Exempt S, Executive , Reading, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!