Strategic Sourcing Manager (Supply Chain)
Company: Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia
Posted on: June 15, 2019
Req ID: 24805
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
The Manager of Strategic Sourcing is responsible for owning and
optimizing spend category, as assigned, exceeding 380 million in
spending via extensive cross-functional collaboration and mastery
of all total cost of ownership (TCO)/strategic sourcing best
* Purchasing Power
* Identifying and establishing relationships with the most
* Aggregating usage across the CHOP enterprise
* Develop and leading cross-functional team-based bid processes
* Renegotiating price & terms with the goal of a win/win
relationship in mind
* Sets standards for diversity procurement program
* Product/Service Changes
* Facilitates & coordinates activities with CHOP Value Analysis
team. Facilitates cross-functional agreement to standardize
products such that TCO is minimized but quality maintained
* Coordination with the VA team for substitution of clinical
products such that TCO is minimized but quality is maintained
* Working cross-functionally to optimize service specifications
* Process Optimization
* Analyzing supply usage patterns and behaviour in order to make
recommendations for elimination of waste and/or reduction of
* Working jointly with suppliers and internal clients to improve
* Influencing internal clients to adhere to policies and best
* Influencing behaviour and working to change CHOP's culture as it
relates to spend optimization
* Category Management-Develops and implements sourcing plans for
assigned spend categories addressing cost drivers using
contracting, competitive bidding, value analysis and financial
analysis to meet cost savings targets.
* Contract Management-Proactively manages team contracting efforts
for custom contracts.
* Relationship Management-Forges professional, effective
relationships with internal customers, supply chain colleagues,
process partners, and vendors.
* Best Practices-Enhances Supply Chain performance by benchmarking
and implementing best practices.
* Provides status reports related to the custom contracting team
activities to the Director of Contracts & Procurement on a regular
* Possesses excellent communication skills at multiple levels of
the enterprise. Ability to prepare and present presentations and
financial analysis to leaders. Able to facilitate teams to
successful resolution of challenging issues.
* Responsible to oversee the organization's capital/construction in
progress (CIP) equipment program that includes planning, budgeting,
negotiation and procurement activies.
* Mentors and coaches direct reports to aid staff development and
ensure that departmental objectives are met with regard to customer
service and procurement best-practices. Fosters and builds a
collaborative procurement team within and across functional lines
to achieve world-class performance. Assists in the hiring, training
and education, evaluation, discipline and/or discharge of assigned
staff within the Supply Chain Department
1) Category Management
Category Plan Development
* Develops and implements category and sourcing plans utilizing
professional purchasing practices for assigned spend categories on
an annual basis. Updates plans as needed based on and changes in
technology, utilization and customer needs.
* Proactively engages stakeholders and/or key internal customers on
a regular scheduled basis to review spend analysis and develop
initiatives. Acts as a liaison to assist stakeholders reach
* Incorporates key cost drivers (price, product, process),
supplier, market, and technology profiles, vendor rationalization,
contract penetration status, spend optimization and strategies for
addressing spend in category plans. Considers patient safety and
outcomes in decision making processes.
* Leads negotiations with business partners.
* Supports Value Analysis program by collaboratively reviewing,
preparing financial analysis and researching requests for committee
* Proactively analyses spend data to determine new areas for
contracting or, enhancing current contracts.
* Leads workgroups, creates work plans, deliverables, savings
estimates and desired outcomes for initiatives with targeted due
* Validates and documents savings for budgetary purposes. Savings
goals to be determined on an annual basis.
* Sets priorities based on customer input, savings potential, and
* Reports progress on a monthly or as requested basis.
The Manager of Strategic Sourcing has a pro-active role in the
development, inclusion and on-going management of
supplier-diversity in all contracts awarded by Children's Hospital
of Philadelphia, to include:
* Development and implementation of supplier diversity policy for
all planned contracts with CHOP suppliers and vendors
* Manage and review the goals set for diverse supplier
participation in designated contracts, with focus on prime contract
opportunities and Tier II subcontracting goals
* Audit key contracts for supplier diversity inclusion and ensure
that awarded contracts meet and /or exceed CHOP Supply Chain
* Ensure periodic review of key supplier /vendor contracts on their
performance related to supplier diversity and opportunities for
* Coach and train all Contract Managers on the management of the
supplier diversity process and on the negotiations supportive of
the CHOP goals for supplier diversity
* Develop and maintain a strategic approach to the long-term growth
of supplier diversity in the contracts awarded by CHOP
* Manage the growth of diverse supplier participation and the spend
levels achieved through contracting methods and with CHOP's key
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
* Develop and implement competitive bidding process
* Develop and maintain commodity/service specific request for
proposal and contract templates that conform to CHOP standard terms
and conditions as well as compliance and diversity
* Identify bid opportunities and maintain bid cycle for routinely
purchased items and services in compliance with departmental
* Coordinate across contract management team the bid analysis,
negotiation and award utilizing industry best practices for
assigned spend category to include:
* Develop and maintain a vendor bid pre-qualification process.
* Develop and maintain a vendor post-award compliance process.
* Develop product and service technical specifications with
internal/external customer base.
* Notification of bid awards and denials and coordinate
implementation of new contracts.
* Assure electronic bid files are maintained to include bidders
list, bid responses, bid analysis and justification for bid
Work with VA team, as needed, to complete product research for
Hospital Value Analysis Committees. Collaboratively work to :
* Identify alternate suppliers.
* Ensure custom contracting team and VA team collaboration, conduct
cost analysis and communicate financial impact of new products or
* Conduct market research on requested products and
* Utilizes available tools (Qlikview, Meditract, Lawson (??),(etc.)
to prepare financial analysis of spend to support business case
development and category/cost management.
2. Contract Management
Administration and management of new and existing service, supply,
price protection and locally negotiated contracts.
* Responsible to manage and coordinate all contracting efforts for
assigned spend categories to include:
* Review and assign contracts 30-90 days in advance of the
* Ensure that all contractual terms and conditions and related
documents are consistent with administrative policy. Interface with
legal counsel on clauses that are not consistent with the
* Ensure that all contracts are entered into information system
with a 60-day advance renewal date.
* Maintain through support personnel all contract files and
appropriate documents per departmental guidelines.
* Document financial impact of contracts.
* Utilize contract management tools (i.e. Lawson, Meditract, Market
Place Procure) to execute and manage contracts.
* Develops and utilizes standard contract administration procedures
such as templates and check lists.
* Follows all hospital, regulatory and legal guidelines regarding
3. Relationship Management
Effectively forges professional relationships with internal
customers, Supply Chain colleagues, vendors and process
Collaborate with internal customers to enhance service, improve
financial outcomes and become a valued business partner.
* Meet on a regular, scheduled basis, or at least annually, with
internal customers to align supply chain and departmental goals.
Establish goals, set priorities, and provide follow up.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Supply Chain Team
* Collaboratively works as a team with Supply Chain colleagues,
including Materials Distribution Team, Receiving, Mailroom, Copy
Center, Value Analysis and Procurement
* Understand Supply Chain's vision. Participates in goals and
objectives definition. Manages and coordinates efforts to achieve
Process Partners (i.e. legal, finance, facilities management,
Cultivates positive business relationships with process partners by
holding regular meetings, collaboratively resolving problems,
soliciting input, establishing standards, etc.
* Forges positive professional relationships with vendors to
effectively manage performance.
* Performs Business Reviews for applicable prime vendors on a
* Develops and manages vendor performance metrics (i.e. fill rate,
etc.) for key business partners. Provides quarterly reports to
leadership on vendor performance. Coordinates efforts to improve
performance when required.
* Addresses vendor performance issues quickly and effectively.
4) Supply Chain Best Practices
Supports leadership team in establishing and implementing Supply
Chain best practices.
* Benchmarks best practices within both healthcare and industry
* Participates in workgroups, forums, and professional
* Attends at least one professional development conference per
* Participates in at least one Supply Chain improvement workgroup
Required Education and Experience
5 years progressive experience in Supply Chain contracting.
Bachelor degree in field of expertise or related field required
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Master's degree preferred.
Additional Technical Requirements
Strategic sourcing, competitive bidding, negotiations, vendor and
contract management, value analysis, business case development,
leading/facilitating teams, change management skills, financial
analysis, forging positive customer relationships.
Moderate to advanced proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, data
analysis, business case development, ERP systems.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide
patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine
unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a
safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members,
visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal,
employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for
positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is
contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use
tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine
screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity
employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion,
national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected
veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
Keywords: Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Strategic Sourcing Manager (Supply Chain), Executive , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!