Real Estate and Facilities Manager
Company: Great Oaks Charter Schools
Posted on: May 28, 2019
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School in Newark is seeking a Real Estate
and Facilities Manager for the 2019-20 school year.
Great Oaks Legacy Overview
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative
public charter school in Newark NJ, serving over 1,600 students
from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city. Our mission
is to prepare public school students for success in college. We do
so with a unique model that incorporates daily high-dosage
tutoring, differentiated instruction, and building a school
community based on genuine, caring relationships.
Great Oaks Legacy students aspire to be some of the highest
performing students in the country. We have high academic and
behavioral expectations for our students. For example, our students
are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We
pair rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support
from teachers, tutors, and staff.
The school's mission is to prepare our students for college success
through several key elements:
- Small school- Grade-level cohorts of less 100 students allow
each student to feel known and cared for. Our focus is on a sense
of community and relationship building with families and
- More time on task- We offer longer school days than traditional
schools and weekend or after school sessions for students who need
- High expectations- Rigorous, differentiated,
college-preparatory coursework from Pre-K through 12th grade.
Advanced Placement and real college courses for high school
- Effective Instruction- World-class teachers with clear
expectations and the support they need to continuously improve.
To fulfill our mission, we must -
- Create a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful
- Be surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction
and support of ALL students and team members
- Set and exceed high expectations for academic growth and
character development for all students, in preparation for success
in college and beyond
Real Estate and Facilities Manager Role Description:
A new position for 2019-20, the Real Estate and Facilities Manager
plays a critical role in providing our students with high-quality
spaces to learn while supporting our expanding footprint throughout
Newark. Studies have shown that the quality of the learning
environment has demonstrable effects on student learning. By
ensuring that our students attend safe, clean and welcoming spaces
every day, this role will directly influence learning and
This position will be responsible for oversight of contracted and
staff custodians, responding to facilities maintenance needs,
managing vendors through the process of planning and executing
projects in our schools, and supporting the acquisition of new
facilities via site research and cost analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Real Estate and Facilities Manager will:
- Monitor and respond to facilities repair requests from staff
and identify repairs via regular walkthroughs and check-ins with
campus operations staff.
- Ensure cleanliness of buildings by managing outsourced cleaning
staff and providing feedback to in-house custodial team.
- Manage the purchasing process for repairs and upgrades,
including soliciting quotes and bids, selecting vendors, and
issuing purchase orders.
- Oversee outside vendors in safely and efficiently completing
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the school's
landlords to ensure buildings are managed consistent with lease
- Support the school's long-term Real Estate function by
conducting research and analysis on potential locations.
- Assist the SBA in facility budgeting, managing real
estate/capital projects, and long range facility planning.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Real Estate and Facilities Manager is a twelve-month employee with
salary to be recommended by Executive Director and approved by the
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is additionally
accountable to campus leadership via survey of facilities
Evaluated twice annually against completion of annual goals, staff
satisfaction around facilities quality, and overall professionalism
and mission alignment.
- Bachelor's degree and at least two years professional
experience, ideally in a construction or building management or
school operations role
- Knowledge of building trades, facilities systems, and
- Preferably, experience with New Jersey governmental purchasing
- An ability to be a fierce advocate for our school and our
students while maintaining productive relationships with outside
vendors and contractors
- A very strong ability to manage multiple projects
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students arrive, on average, significantly behind grade level.
Many live in poverty - a higher percentage than most schools in the
country. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely
to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child
ultimately graduates from college.
- Employee takes responsibility to reverse negative outcomes of
failing students, to make every effort to work proactively and
reactively to engage each and every student, such that each is
legitimately prepared to succeed in college.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very, very hard. All
staff, including the Campus Directors, Admin Teams, CAO, CEO,
President, Operations Team and COO and Employee, acknowledge that
we will do more than just work hard; we each seek - through formal
and informal feedback - to dramatically improve. At Great Oaks
Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is not considered
remedial, it is essential and ongoing for all staff.
Keywords: Great Oaks Charter Schools, Philadelphia , Real Estate and Facilities Manager, Executive , Newark, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!