Senior Manager- Software Engineering
Company: Vertex, Inc
Location: King Of Prussia
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Thank you for considering Vertex Inc, and we are excited about
the opportunity to learn more about you, and help you define your
potential contributions at Vertex! Our goal is to find new team
members that work to help our clients unleash the strategic
potential of Corporate Tax worldwide. Vertex is considered a
premier partner to Oracle, SAP, and works closely with the Big 4
and other leading software providers, as well as tax and accounting
firms to provide the most integrated enterprise tax technology
solutions available today to the most recognized brands of the
world! We have enjoyed workplace and business recognitions
including Philly.com's Top Places to Work for three years in a row,
Working Mother 100 Best Companies, and SmartCEO's Philadelphia
Corporate Culture Award.
As Senior Manager - Software Engineering, you will apply knowledge
of people leadership, software development methodologies, best
practices, and proven processes to deliver timely outcomes with
high quality standards. This role will be responsible for managing
multiple teams of engineers solving hard problems in the tax
technology space focusing on evolving existing products as well as
overseeing new development efforts. This role will collaborate
across the teams on software development needs including design,
development, documenting, and testing new and existing software.
The Senior Manager - Software Engineering will evaluate their
teams' results to determine if project objectives are being met as
well as analyze and resolve software development issues and needs
in terms of the software's full life cycle. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee the software development function
including the implementation of business plans, policies, and
procedures including but not limited to:
- Implementation of strategies and business plans for new Vertex
- Working across multiple product/service teams to help build
unified engineering solutions.
- Aligning with cross-functional team owners to carry out
initiatives and implementations.
- Work with product owners across the business to understand
market needs and vision; quickly translate that vision into
- Working with product owners and architects to develop
multi-generation software technology plans.
- Driving increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating
duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse, and
- Leading efforts to improve the technology, processes, and
quality of product development activities.
- Providing leadership for the migration to and implementation of
new Vertex product architectures.
- Leading the team with hands-on technical expertise.
- Driving world-class quality in the development and support of
products allowing IP/assets to be leveraged by various business
models as appropriate through to delivery.
- Communicating effectively both within immediate team and
leadership ensuring the team receives consistent messages and has
clear understanding of business direction, strategy, and
- Building a world class software development team. SUPERVISORY
- Will lead work and indivduals as appropriate.-- KNOWLEDGE,
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- -- Excellent leadership and people management skills including
solid technical, communication and analytical skills with thorough
understanding of product development and successful problem
definition, decomposition, estimation, and resolution.
- Proficient with various software methodologies (Agile, Lean,
SAFe etc.) for both on premise and SaaS based architectures .
- Hands-on experience with modern DevOps, SRE techniques,
automation frameworks and operational principles of a large-scale
distributed SaaS application
- Experience with technical design of scalable, robust systems
using cloud native architecture principles
- Knowledge and expertise in providing common solutions by
identifying and addressing patterns in infrastructure and
- Deep understanding of real-world solutions and solutions in
availability, performance, security, compliance, and cost
- Experience with leadership of complex software development
projects and teams through all phases of the software development
- Proven ability to scale applications horizontally with an
- Proven ability to provide leadership, technology guidance and
mentorship to others throughout their domain.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with all
levels of an organization.
- Ability to apply broad expertise or unique knowledge and
professional concepts to develop resolutions to critical
- Ability to manage multiple complex, high visibility and high
impact projects simultaneously.
- Must be results oriented, customer focused, and exhibit good
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. EDUCATION,
TRAINING and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination
of education and experience.
- 10+--years of experience in the software domain.
- 2+--years of experience in a development leadership role with
multiple direct reports.
- Have a wide range of skills, including some of the following:
- In depth knowledge of Java or C#.
- Databases - Selection and leverage of database types and
- Deep understanding of best practices regarding software
development and software testing.
- Knowledge of and experience with cloud-native development
technologies and practices.
- Application Hosting - Common patterns to host
- Have a software engineering background with a passion for
- Enjoy pushing scalability to the limit with high-throughput
- Enjoy working with a large variety of services and
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with container technologies like Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience with both Windows and Linux as scaled-out cloud
Operating Systems preferred REQUIRED FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES:
- Builds Relationships: Fosters open dialogue and obtains shared
commitment to proposals; shared ideas and information to promote
mutual understanding, respect, and effective decision-making.
- Drives for Results: Acts to create opportunities for Vertex or
to avoid future problems; has the courage to act with incomplete
information rather than simply thinking about it; maintains a
focused commitment to achieving enterprise objectives.
- Knows the Business: Understands and applies knowledge of
Vertex's business and processes to accomplish goals.
- Anticipates Customer Needs (internal and external): Establishes
and maintains productive relationships with customers and partners,
anticipating their needs.
- Learns Continuously: Expands own knowledge base to enhance
performance; seeks development to increase strengths for current
and future needs. REQUIRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Fosters Innovation: Provides an environment that supports
alternative approaches and leads to new processes, products, and
- Aligns and Engages: Aligns people, processes, information
systems, and structure with the strategic direction; ensures that
expectations are clear, priorities established, focus maintained,
and tough decisions addressed; works to gain commitment and
- Develop Talent: Works with others in a helpful way to increase
their competence and confidence; eliminates barriers and provides
needed resources and support for personal and professional growth.
COMMENTS: The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this
position. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains
the right to add or change the duties at any time. Vertex is an
Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without
regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability,
protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by
While performing the duties of this job, the work environment may
require an individual to be able to sit or be stationary at a
computer and use computers for extended periods of time and move
freely around the building. Travel may be required.-- My Profile
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities. --- King of
Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States --- King of Prussia,
Pennsylvania, United States --- King of Prussia, Pennsylvania,
Keywords: Vertex, Inc, Philadelphia , Senior Manager- Software Engineering, Executive , King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!