Building Engineer Trainee
Company: The School District Of Philadelphia
Posted on: May 28, 2023
- This is engineering and custodial work of a training nature
developing the knowledge and skills needed to maintain District
facilities. Employees in this class learn how to maintain and
secure buildings and grounds through on-the-job training and
classroom instruction. Instruction includes life safety training
and how to operate and maintain heating, ventilating, and air
conditioning systems as well as other mechanical and electrical
mechanisms in the facility. Instruction will also be given on work
order entry and other functions of the computerized maintenance
management system. Essential Functions
Under the direction of the Facilities Training Manager:
- Operates and maintains the heating, ventilating, air
conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, drainage, absorption and
centrifugal chiller systems as well as other mechanical and
electrical mechanism in the boiler room and elsewhere in the
building; cleans the interior and exterior of the building and
maintains the grounds.
- Makes minor repairs and maintains records of repairs and
requisitions when appropriate.
- Keeps grounds clear of ice and snow in winter; protects the
school against vandalism, fire storm damage and other hazards;
performs preventative maintenance throughout the year.
- Receives, stores and places supplies and equipment in proper
locations, excluding cafeteria supplies, sets up, dismantles and
moves portable instructional equipment and supplies as
- Cooperates with the principal, teachers and other school staff
to provide appropriate facilities to support the educational
mission of the school; cooperates with maintenance crews as they
work in the schools or administrative offices.
- Reports damaged or stolen school property to Facilities
Management and Services. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions pertaining to
all phases of custodial work. Demonstrated ability to:
- learn the methods and the appropriate materials, tools and
equipment used in custodial work.
- learn how to operate and maintain high-pressure boilers and
auxiliary boiler room equipment.
- make minor building repairs.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships
- The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel
so classified. The School District of Philadelphia provides to all
persons equal access to all categories of employment in this
District, regardless of race, color, age, creed, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin or
handicap/disability, gender identity, or genetic information.
Please refer to Board Policy 104 for further information regarding
the District's commitment to Nondiscrimination in Employment
Practices. Minimum Requirements
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school
Keywords: The School District Of Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Building Engineer Trainee, Engineering , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...