Optical Network Operations Engineer 3
Posted on: May 5, 2021
Job SummaryResponsible for operating, deploying, managing,
troubleshooting, and continuously improving Comcast's optical
infrastructure. Position focuses on deploying and stabilizing new
products, code, technologies, services, networks, systems, tools
and protocols; drives standardization, automation and service
focused instrumentation; provides subject matter expertise;
resolves complex break/fix scenarios, engaging broader teams as
necessary and partners with/leads engineering, vendors and regions
to achieve continuous improvement. Serve as highest tier operations
support for various field, CARE, vendors and customer focused
organizations. Leads all command and control-related activities
focused on restoration of outages, communication across Comcast and
rapid restoration. Works and directly leads external vendors, third
parties and associated agencies, when necessary, to address issues
across the backbone, peering arrangements, inter-operability
issues, etc. Determines and pursues course of action necessary to
achieve results. Frequently serves as operation lead on specific
projects, providing broad direction across teams.Job
- Performs a variety of highly complex analytical duties in the
planning, deployment, testing and evaluation of Comcast's network,
products and services with a focus on optical networking. Works
closely with vendors and field to identify and drive improvements
across the topology.
- Directs third party agencies (i.e. AT&T, Verizon,) internal
resources and external resources while troubleshooting and
resolving complex peer-to-peer or vendor/supplier troubles focusing
on rapid restoration. Devises and implements strategies for solving
complex technical issues directly impacting internal and external
customers or increasing performance across broad ecosystems.
- Develops, produces and reviews documentation, instructional and
procedural manuals for other employees to utilize to resolve
complex problems or make network improvements. Examples include:
complex processes for acceptance of new products (i.e. cable
modems, systems etc.,) testing such as operational readiness, tools
focused on automation (i.e. IP scope tool,) etc.
- Supports all the XNOC tools and alarms; analyzes systems needs
and determines prioritization of break/fix scenarios; implements
code changes and suggests improvements. Ensures the availability of
networking services; studies, evaluates, analyzes and monitors the
network and services to determine problem areas and/or areas of
concern. Monitors, isolates, triages and resolves outages and
impairments. Identifies and implements opportunities for
improvement across XNOC and XOC.
- Ensures databases, applications, hardware and other related
resources are properly maintained and devises strategies to improve
performance. Provides subject matter expertise for all network
equipment and provides technical training and support to other
operational groups. Updates code and software to ensure proper
system performance. Continually looks for ways to improve
- Provides clear, crisp and concise technical communication and
coordination during large outage scenarios.
- Directly executes changes, in the network and across systems,
focused on deploying new services, implementing changes and
stabilizing products following established change management
processes. Accountable for configuration management techniques,
ensuring infrastructure is correctly aligned and fully compliant
- Accountable for understanding and managing services across
highly complex ecosystems cutting across multiple technologies,
organizations, people, companies and solutions. Requires detailed
understanding of complex interdependencies/interdependencies.
- Possesses advanced depth and breadth of knowledge across
multiple ecosystems/technologies requiring technical competency,
advanced training and outstanding verbal and written communication
skills. Leverages engineering methodologies across multiple areas
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in
matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to
work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as
- Other duties and responsibilities as
- 5+ years of direct hands-on experience working within a network
infrastructure team involved with Operations and Maintenance of
DWDM equipment, Ethernet Layer 1, 2 and 3.-- Must have familiarity
with Alcatel PSS 1830 product line and or Ciena OME6500 product
line including design, configuration, troubleshooting
- Accomplished in Network and element management --- Directly
involved in network element alarm management with primary goal of
alarm reduction.-- Strength in managing and directing field
personnel to perform corrective actions on equipment.
- Accomplished in outage management --- Drives the major incident
recovery process, identify and initiate time critical remediation
activities to restore impacted infrastructure services.-- Owns all
outages and service requests through the lifecycle.
- Accomplished in sectionalizing network circuit issues
specifically 100GBE circuits involving 3R sites along with all
facets of inside and outside plant fiber repair activity
- Understanding of layer 1 to 3 mapping
- Basic understanding of routing, routing protocols, and path
selectionEmployees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines
for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put
our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every
touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates
of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially
our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and
being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working
that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company -
by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate
opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and
- This information has been designed to indicate the general
nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is
not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications.Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
employer.EducationBachelor's DegreeRelevant Work Experience5-7
YearsBase pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast
provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most
sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an
applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a
Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We
believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need
when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter
most. That---s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance
and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of
your reality --- to help support you physically, financially and
emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life.
Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers
site for more details.
Keywords: Comcast, Philadelphia , Optical Network Operations Engineer 3, Engineering , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!