Middle School Science Teacher
Company: Young Scholars Charter School
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Join the Young Scholars Charter School team and help us Imagine
New Possibilities in education. We have reimagined our schedule to
be more sustainable for teachers and better for students.
What makes YSCS a great place to work?
--- ALL Science and Social Studies teachers have a maximum roster
of 100 students and an average class size of 25 students. Why? We
want youto build stronger and more meaningful relationships with
--- ALL Science and Social Studies teachers are responsible for one
grade and one content. Why? We want you to be experts in the
classes you teach.
--- ALL Science and Social Studies teachers have 120 minutes of
prep time daily and common planning time with content teams. Why?
We know that collaboration for teachers is important and prep
periods during the day make the job more sustainable.
--- ALL staff members have the opportunity to influence the overall
direction of the school. Why? We know that to have a wonderful work
environment, you are critical in the decision-making process at the
school. This year's reimagined and more sustainable calendar and
schedule were developed by teachers for teachers!
Who are we?
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based,
open-enrollment charter school serving students from across
Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to
provide a personalized middle school education that challenges,
engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their
dreams and lead a life of active citizenship. We aim to inspire and
equip every student to lead a life of achievement, service and
success. Our structured and nurturing community, comprehensive
programming and rigorous academic curriculum are designed to build
self-motivated citizens, eager learners and strong leaders -
regardless of circumstance. Our graduates are driven young people
who are prepared for the future demands of high school, college,
career and, eventually, the world.
We seek to provide project-based learning and high-quality
instruction to help students grow as learners and citizens. We
believe in rigorous and culturally relevant curriculum where all
students are given an opportunity to reach high academic success.
Our teachers engage in extensive planning, strong instructional
execution, and common skill-based assessments. Our curriculum
engages students in building their academic proficiency and
social-emotional skills to be successful.
Who are we looking for?
We are currently looking for a passionate Science Teacher to join
the YSCS team and work with us to Imagine New Possibilities in
Education. YSCS is a unique and innovative educational environment
with a dual homeroom partner structure, regular coaching by an
instructional leader, and extensive elective and sports offerings.
All staff members are considered critical players in decision
making processes and have the opportunity to influence the overall
direction of the school.
- Plan and provide excellent instruction, making every minute
count in your classroom;
- Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments,
and assessments based on state standards and school-wide goals for
- Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each
student's academic growth;
- Set and reinforce clear expectations for student
- Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school
- Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement
- Reward positive student engagement and hold students
accountable using school-wide systems;
- Engage with family members regularly and participate in
school-wide family engagement activities including phone calls to
family members and school-based meetings with families;
Qualifications and Skills
- Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to
- Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
- The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of
- A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic
- Resilience and professionalism;
- Commitment to school transformation and continuous
- Open to feedback and coaching;
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student
- Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Experience driving student achievement results;
- Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field;
- Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher
--- Competitive salary and benefits package;
- 3-4 prep periods a day;
- Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
- Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
- 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
- Google Education platform for online assignment
- The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are
raising the bar for student achievement.
--- Young Scholars Charter School is committed to maintaining a
safe and healthy school environment as we transition back to
in-person learning. However, as with the community at large, cases
of COVID-19 in school cannot be fully prevented, we can only
minimize the risk or spread of the disease. In addition to the
School District's and CDC Guidelines, Young Scholars have taken
additional precautions to protect all staff and students.
Keywords: Young Scholars Charter School, Philadelphia , Middle School Science Teacher, Education / Teaching , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!